Thursday, August 12, 2010

Just another day on the job...

5
Just about 3 weeks left until school starts! In the meantime I have been spending my days working for a tree removal company. For my first day on the job, I was greeted by this...a massive pile of logs. It was my job to split and stack this wood. All I could do was groan...


I split wood for 11 hours...

...AND THERE WAS STILL MORE TO BE SPLIT!!!

I still haven't finished all the splitting that I need to do (I guess I will save that for a rainy day)! I split the wood while another guy stacked it. Good thing I wasn't stacking the wood or else I might have been fired!

We split and stacked about 6 face cords of wood (if you don't know what that is, don't worry about it...)

*WARNING* This next section contains graphic images! If you have a weak stomach...SCROLL DOWN! : P

On my third day at work it was time to put away the log splitter and finally go to a job. We loaded up the truck and headed off to take down a tree. I am new to the tree removal business, so I don't know the ropes. Little did I know that I was about to meet a rope that didn't like rookies!

I was stationed at the chipper for this job, so I felt pretty comfortable doing that. The owner and another employee were limbing a tree and then lowering the limbs to the ground with a rope because there were power lines intertwined in the tree. I was called over to lower a branch while the one guy went to start the chipper. There I was holding a rope, with no gloves on when all of a sudden I hear the cracking of a branch! This branch must have been 40 ft. long and weighed over 300 lb. (ok, maybe a slight exaggeration)! I did everything I could to lower the branch to the ground, but it was too heavy for me and the rope got pulled right through my hands...that was by far the most pain I have ever felt in a LONG time!

We did a quick bandage job so I could finish working.

But here is what I found when I took the bandage off...

Burns...

Burns....

And more burns... (nasty, huh?)


There were a total of 19 burns on my two hands, and a burn blister about 1/4 in. high. THAT HURT! Am I just a big baby? Probably...


5 Response to Just another day on the job...

August 12, 2010 at 4:49 PM

Oh man! Those pictures are nasty! I hope that it heals up quickly!
Love ya,
Anna H.

August 13, 2010 at 8:37 AM

Totally disgusting! Adam was thinking about losing his lunch...and we haven't even eaten it yet! :) Eeeeewww. Hope your hand heals quickly!

Anonymous
August 13, 2010 at 4:40 PM

Don't go anywhere that you have to clap or shake hands!

Mark

August 13, 2010 at 8:55 PM

Poor little Sonny! That looks pretty painful...

August 16, 2010 at 4:41 PM

ouch! sorry bro about squeezing the blistered hand! don't get bitter!
luv,
Beth :0)

Post a Comment