Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Day trip to Chicago!

4
Recently our family decided to take a day trip to Chicago. It has been years since our family has been to Chicago (we used to live in one of it's suburbs)! Our dad, native of Chicago, took us for a tour of the "town".

Sears (Willis) Tower

Our first stop in "Chi town" was Navy Pier.

The Crystal Gardens at Navy Pier were really neat...

...especially the fountains.

It kinda reminded me of Florida : )

What would a trip to Navy Pier be without a ride on the famous ferris wheel?

We convinced our parents that a ferris wheel ride would be in everyone's best interest : )

Anna and Rachel preparing to ascend...


The view from the top was awesome!

The John Hancock building overlooking Lake Michigan.

What? Ok, so I like obscure photography...

Dad, Mom, Beth, and Sarah in the other car.

I thought the sun coming through the ferris wheel would make a good picture...others just laughed.

We had fun at Navy Pier, and thankfully nobody went overboard!

Hollandsworth kids

Dad and Mom


Just before we left, Phil and I went for a ride on the chair glide.

As we headed into the city I saw this restaurant called, Yolk. I took a look through the window at the menu, and everything on the menu had to do with eggs! Egg salad, scrambled eggs, deviled eggs, fried eggs....you get the idea.

Off we went down Michigan Avenue, or as some call it...

..."The Magnificent Mile".

I kinda got separated from the family while I was taking pictures. When I stopped to get my bearings, I looked up and saw this...the Mac store! Home, sweet home!

The place was massive! It had this big, glass staircase going up to the second level of the building which housed their conference room and genius bar.

I came out of the Mac store, and right across the street was the Chicago water tower. This is one of the very few buildings that survived the great Chicago fire of 1871.

You find some strange people in Chicago...

...so strange that I thought this guy was a manikin! I almost went over there and poked him, but he turned and looked at me so I decided not to. : P

Don't ask me what this is, I just took a picture of it.


After walking downtown for a while we went shopping in Water Tower Place. It was the first time I have ever been in a vertical mall. The place had about 10 levels with different stores on each level.

Some random building with the sun gleaming on the glass : )

On the walk back to the van we passed a Bentley! Maybe someday...

4 Response to Day trip to Chicago!

August 18, 2010 at 9:25 AM

Those pics are awesome! Great job! I love the picture of the sun shining through the ferris wheel!
Love ya,
Anna H.

August 18, 2010 at 2:13 PM

Those are some awesome pix Josh!
Looks like ya'll had a lot of fun!
Michaela

August 19, 2010 at 12:59 PM

Sounds like a fun trip! It was so sad to see the "Hollandsworth kids" pic minus me! Oh well...life must go on... :)

You should've tried the "Yolk" restaurant. It sounds quite unique!

Love ya!

August 21, 2010 at 2:12 PM

So Josh, my question is this: would you be tempted to shoot a "B-B" gun had you had it on the top of the Ferris Wheel? That's a bunch of glass! Great Pics!

Post a Comment